DemDaily: The Veepstakes: The Contenders
April 26, 2016
With less than three months to both party's nominating conventions, the candidates are beginning their selection process for a vice-presidential running mate.
|2016 Vice Presidential Selection Timeline
Source: The Bi-Partisan Policy Center
The vetting process typically starts at least eight weeks prior to the convention to allow for a thorough financial, professional and personal investigation of potential candidates.
Based on the delegate count, a party's presidential nominee is normally known prior to the convention, but 2016 is expected to be an exception - particularly on the Republican side where a contested convention may be in play.
This is also problematic for predicting the VP selection as none of the current contenders are likely to pick the same running mate.
The VP pick is essential to the success of the ultimate ticket and 2016 is no exception. While geography was, for many years, the primary factor, the internet and ability to reach voters daily online or on television with a message from or about each candidate, has changed the equation.
Major factors in the selection process:
1) Geography: Electoral benefit to a nominee from a battleground or swing state, as well a region. No party has ever picked a Presidential and VP ticket from the same state.
2) Experience: The role of the VP has expanded substantively and a VP's ability to address foreign and domestic policy issues, their Congressional relationships and years in office or profile in the public sector is an important factor. The administrative experience of a Governor is also considered a plus.
3) Age: Although not always synonymous with experience, makes a difference in balancing a gender gap at the top of the ticket.
4) Compatibility: Together or apart on the campaign trail, the Pres and VP must be able to work together and appear to be a genuine team. How the candidates, staff, consultants and operations assimilate is both a personal and practical consideration.
5) Ethnicity and Gender: A potentially critical balance to the opposing ticket's picks and platform that could swing the presidential.
6) Ideology: A VP that is more conservative or liberal can expand the ticket's appeal to a broader voting constituency, but the team should not be ideological or publicly opposed on any major issues.
Based on our research, the current contenders:
Potential Vice Presidential Candidates
|Potential Democratic VP Candidates||Home State||Background|
|Cory Booker||New Jersey||Senator, first term|
|Sherrod Brown||Ohio||Senator, second term|
|Joaquin Castro||Texas||Representative, first term|
|Julian Castro||Texas||Secretary of Housing and Urban Development|
|Al Franken||Minnesota||Senator, second term|
|Kamala Harris||California||California Attorney General & US Senate Candidate|
|Tim Kaine||Virginia||Senator, first term|
|Amy Klobuchar||Minnesota||Senator, second term|
|Martin O'Malley||Maryland||Former: Presidential Candidate, Governor of Maryland & Mayor of Baltimore|
|Deval Patrick||Massachusetts||Former Governor|
|Thomas Perez||New York||Secretary of Labor|
|Mark Warner||Virginia||Senator, second term|
|Elizabeth Warren||Massachusetts||Senator, first term|
|Potential Republican VP Candidates||Home State||Background|
|Kelly Ayotte||New Hampshire||Senator, first term|
|Charlie Baker||Massachusetts||Governor, first term|
|Dr. Ben Carson||Michigan||Neurosurgeon & former Presidential Candidate|
|Chris Christie||New Jersey||Governor, second term & former Presidential Candidate|
|Carly Fiorina||Texas||Former Hewlett Packard CEO & former Presidential Candidate|
|Nikki Haley||South Carolina||Governor, second term|
|Bill Haslam||Tennessee||Governor, second term|
|Susana Martinez||New Mexico||Governor, second term|
|Rob Portman||Ohio||Senator, first term|
|Jeff Sessions||Alabama||Senator, fourth term|
|John Thune||South Dakota||Senator, second term|
We will see if tonight's primaries in Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island bring the parties any closer to their nominees!
Connecting you to The Party
Connecting you to Each Other